This page is actually on top of a background that I created for the collaborative part of the project.
I colored the edges all around as I've explained in an earlier post.
When I got to this page I did a quick sketch of a woman's face while I was watching TV. You can see the ink sketch below at the end of this post.
Because it wasn't too late in the evening I decided to paint it and she came out purple! (I was using Schmincke gouache that was out for another project.)
Left: The Pentel Pocket Brush Pen Sketch before I added paint to it. It has been cut out and placed on a black board for photographing. The sketch was made on a sheet of gridded Quattro paper, which is very smooth and has a lovely grid pattern on it. Also it's fun to paint on this paper even though it isn't a wet media paper. Click on the image to view an enlargement. (She had a scarier look in the sketch which I lost while I was painting.)
When I glued her to the page I then stenciled over her with my favorite "aster" stencil and some pink Brilliance rubberstamp ink.
I also stamped a text stamp across the top of the page.
Left: Here is an image of the background as it was when I first created it for the collaborative project. During printing the borders on the page of course became white (I wrote about the 1/4 inch space the copier made on all the pages in another post). I colored those with rubberstamp inks, drawing the color into the page to blend all the edges. Here you can see the fortune that was covered when I collaged my sketch down. I was sad to lose those strokes and splotches, but the great thing about journaling is that you can always make more strokes and splotches! Click on the image to view an enlargement.
When I got to this point in my journal most of the other pages were filled even though I wasn't going chronologically. Her colors fit best on this page. But that meant covering up my "fortune" that was part of my background.
Ah, well. One of the things I decided early in this project was that I was going to be as ruthless about using the backgrounds in this book as I was with the backgrounds in my journals. Often that meant losing elements (created by other people) which I really loved.
It will be interesting to see what the other participants were able to "save" on the pages they created.